September 28th – Club News
Posted By Brad Walker
What happened this week?
What a meeting we had! Along with our guest speaker, we were very happy to welcome our own Mayor Vivian Jones and Town Commissioner Liz Simpers, as well as Andre & Judah Turrentine as guests joined us in person.
We started out with super “Good News” including that:
- Bob McCamy faired wonderfully from back surgery and was already doing well in PT;
- At their very first meeting, Mark Vasconcellos inducted 13 members into WF’s new satellite e-club, Rotary for All Nations—6 of whom are brand new to Rotary. Way to go, Mark!;
- Jimmy Murray announced that Heartwood Animal Clinic was chosen Best of the Best for 2020! Congratulations, Dr. Jimmy!
The Pecan Sale is going on! Oooh, and there are chocolate-covered peanuts available, too! As you take those orders, don’t forget you can send patrons to the website to pay.
Marga—Relay—Ville is going on now! September 10th through September20th. Visit margarelayvile5k.itsourrace.com to sign-up and participate.
Our Annual Oyster Roast is set for October 24th which is also World Polio Plus Day. Due to the pandemic, this year’s oyster roast will be a drive-thru event from 5-8 pm at The Forks. Patrons will be able to pay at the drive-thru OR ahead of time on our website for that event as well and tickets should be going on sale soon. We will also have a way for folks to give to the Foundation for Polio Plus day. As an added treat, Dee Skinner is working with Interact to try and have live music in the parking lot by the youth during the oyster roast. This is going to be a special day, in spite of corona!
Queen of Hearts
Joe Paulonis’ number was called and, since he was with us virtually, he asked Tommy Murray to pick the queen for him. Joe directed Tommy to “pick from the middle” but, alas! The ace of clubs wouldn’t do it for him! Maybe next time!
October is Rotary Polio Plus month so for October 5, our speaker will focus on World Polio Plus Day and what the month means for us.
- October 5, 2020, Club Board Meeting
- October 5, 2020, PDG Randy Lickey will talk to us about Polio Plus
- October 12, 2020, Justice Paul Newby of the NC Supreme Court will be with us to discuss NC’s lost Constitution.
- October 19, 2020, the Hon. Charles Gilliam, Wake County Register of Deeds will be with us to discuss what’s going on with real estate in Wake County.
- October 24, 2020, Annual Oyster Roast Drive-Thru
- October 26, 2020, open
- November 2, 2020, open
- November 9, 2020, Tanya Eastwood, President of Greystone Affordable Development and chosen one of the top 200 women in real estate in 2019, will speak with us about affordable housing
- November 16, 2020, Courtney Tanner, Planning Director for the Town of Wake Forest will come to talk with us about the rapid development of Wake Forest.
- November 23, 2020, no meeting. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!