Posted By Brad Walker
Kristina Wolfe of WakeMed. She is a physical therapist working with their ReadySetGo! Program. She pointed out that with the Baby Boomers turning 65 at the rate of 10,000 per day, they expect to see an increase in falls and related injuries. Falls need not be part of aging.
Some Causes of Falls
- Vision – poor vision, depth perception issues, or double vision
- Balance issues
- Neurological changes
- Reduced strength or muscle weakness
- Specific diseases
- Hearing issues
You can have Insurance agent do a risk assessment at business or home
- Outside –
- Provide stairs/ramps, rails,
- Proper lighting with bright bulbs,
- Caution signs,
- Take care of needed repairs
- Inside –
- High quality, moisture resistant mats & rugs with anti-skid backing
- Clearing away clutter, particularly in walkways
- Stack items on floor or shelves heaviest to lightest
- Grab bars.
Ready, Set, Go Program at Wake Med – currently suspended because of COVID-19, but considering virtual classes. Program includes:
- Physical Therapist
- Pharmacist to check meds.
- Nurses – Blood pressure
- Exercise Specialist – particularly Tai Chi
- Neuro Psychology exam
- Provide classes to Community Centers and homes
Other Sources for Information
- Senior Center & YMCA
- National Council on Aging
Thanks to Kris and WakeMed for a great program. We promised her a mug if she will come back in person after the pandemic.