October 12 – Club News
Posted By Brad Walker
What happened this week?
Wake Forest Rotarians met online and in-person on Monday, Oct. 12, 2020, at The Forks Cafeteria. President-elect Mark Vasconcellos opened the 7 p.m. meeting and Rev. Dr. Marion Holloway gave the invocation. Mark recognized guest speaker Justice Paul Newby, attending on Zoom, along with numerous students of the judge from Campbell Law School.
Treasurer Bob McCamy announced that quarterly bills were sent out this week, which can be paid online or with a check. Please read the email from Assistant Treasurer Rachel Prather for more detailed instructions, or call either Bob or Rachel.
Brad showed an oversized check for that was created which will be filled out and presented to Wake Med, thus completing the club’s Medical Debt Relief project that began two years ago during Brad’s presidency. Funds raised since that time will now cancel out $169,000 of debt owed by 13 Wake Forest residents. The check presentation will be at the October 19th meeting in person.
For guests unfamiliar with the project, Brad explained that the hospital’s billing department first identified cases with serious debt issues but did not provide names. Wake Forest Rotary Club then purchased their debt from a collection agency while Rotarian Roger Scott took the lead on raising funds. The result? A total of $10,000 raised for this worthy project.
Fundraising Chair Brad Walker reminded Rotarians that online dinner ticket sales are underway for our Oyster Roast Drive Thru/Take Out fundraiser. He urged everyone to go to the club website to learn more about these fundraisers, share with friends, and buy dinner tickets!
Queen of Hearts
Joe Paulonis won the raffle but his 4 of Spades did not compare to the Queen. Maybe next time, Joe!
- October 19, 2020, the Hon. Charles Gilliam, Wake County Register of Deeds will be with us to discuss what’s going on with real estate in Wake County.
- October 24, 2020, Annual Oyster Roast Drive-Thru
- October 26, 2020, open
- November 2, 2020, open
- November 9, 2020, Tanya Eastwood, President of Greystone Affordable Development and chosen as one of the top 200 women in real estate in 2019, will speak with us about affordable housing
- November 16, 2020, Courtney Tanner, Planning Director for the Town of Wake Forest will come to talk with us about the rapid development of Wake Forest.
- November 23, 2020, no meeting. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!